Friday 9 January 2015

The Book Cafe

Who doesn't love a cafe with a good ambience and somewhere where you can just relax and not worry about the long queue of people waiting for a seat? Especially if you're a book lover, The Book Cafe is definitely the place for you, as the name suggests, to just have a meal and spend long hours reading your favorite books :') Saw a selection of books at the cafe but didn't see them up close as I had already brought my own books there. Initially wanted to spend time with my friend reading our books but ended up talking throughout our 2-3 hours there!

I'm sure most readers like myself love reading food blogs which give you directions on how to get to a cafe ESPECIALLY when it is not near to a particular MRT station, in a shopping mall or located along a road which you have heard of. I mean what's the point of knowing of a good cafe if you don't know how to get there? 
So after I did some research yesterday on how to get to the cafe, I found that the nearest station to the cafe is apparently Chinatown which is approximately 13 mins away from the cafe. So our plan was to alight at Chinatown and walk there but after talking to a shop owner who said it was too far, we decided to take a bus instead. Won't go into so much detail about our ENTIRE journey but let's just say we spent an EXTREMELY long time asking people for directions, being led the wrong way, being drenched in the rain that we ended up taking a CAB from opposite Clarke Quay MRT which only cost $4.70 and was extremely worth it! So I suggest that if you're not familiar with the place especially for East side people like us, don't waste your time. Just alight at Clarke Quay and take a CAB.

On to the cafe itself...
It was really nice and cosy inside with couches for those who want to read and proper tables for those want to get some work done. The staff were really friendly as well and they helped me charge my phone because it only had 1% left although I don't think that is a kind of service they actually provide there so thank you so much!! :) My only regret was that I didn't get to take pictures of the cafe's interior , sadly.

Cafe's exterior

I ordered the salmon noodle soup for my main course while my friend had the aglio olio. We also ordered steakhouse fries and an iced caramel latte to share.

Salmon noodle soup ($14.95 before GST)
Read some reviews about this dish that said it was really good but was totally disappointed when it came. My friend said it looks like "yu pian mi fen" (fish soup beehoon) that can be found in the hawker centre and I cannot agree more. Not saying that it tastes bad, it was yummy just that why pay $14.95 for this when you can get even better ones for about 3 bucks?

Aglio Olio ($14.95 before GST)
My friend had this and she found it good! She finished her meal quite fast with not a trace on her plate :)

Steakhouse fries ($8 if I'm not wrong, before GST)
Really huge fries which I thought were worth it! Came with tartar, chili and tomato sauce. Sadly we couldn't finish the fries cause we were full from our mains :(

Iced caramel latte ($7.20 before GST)
For some reason it looks like a root beer float here hahaha but this was not bad! Could almost match up to the one at Starbucks which I love!



The Book Cafe
 20 Martin Road 
#01-02
Singapore 239070
(Located at Seng Kee Building)
Read above for directions!

** Opening Hours**
Closed on Mondays
Sun-Thurs: 8.30am-10.30pm (last order at 10pm)
Fri & Sat: 8.30am-12.30 midnight (last order at midnight)

No comments:

Post a Comment